3D construction printing
Printing a concrete house with a 3D printer
There are a variety of 3D printing methods used at construction scale, with the main ones being extrusion (concrete/cement, wax, foam, polymers), powder bonding (polymer bond, reactive bond, sintering), and additive welding.
3D printing at a construction scale will have a wide variety of applications within the private, commercial, industrial and public sectors. Potential advantages of these automation technologies include faster construction, lower costs, ease of construction, enabling DIY construction, increased complexity and/or accuracy, greater integration of function, and less waste produced.
Why 3D construction printing
In light of the global developments of “labor and housing shortages”, increasing productivity is a significant challenge for the construction industry. 3D construction printing technology addresses precisely these issues.
Through intelligent designs and optimized use of materials, 3D construction printing enables alternative construction methods and at the same time contributes sustainably to the environment.
Advantages of 3D construction printing
Time & cost savings
– The BOD2 is operated by only 2 persons and is the fastest in the world (1m/s).
– The construction process is automated and optimized. This reduces the coordination effort.
Attracting skilled labor
– The printer is an innovative machine that is gentle on the body, clean and safe.
– It increases your attractiveness as an employer, making it easier for you to attract skilled workers.
Freedom of design
– Build unprecedented forms in the housing construction.
– Realize a high number of individual shapes, surfaces and colors.
– Houses from the 3D printer are particularly durable.
– Even in extreme weather conditions and natural disasters they offer you a safe home.
How long does it take to set-up our 3D printer?
The answer is: it depends on the printer configuration. For the first 3D-printed building in Austria, with a ground area of 125 m² (1,324 sqft), it took us 1.5 days. Have a look at the video to see the printer assembly.